US IT jobs going overseas creating 'IT Rust Belt'.

Bradley Miller bradmiller at dslonramp.com
Mon May 12 20:29:07 CDT 2003

At 11:48 PM 5/11/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>CEO's share hugely in the blame.  The problem is simple when you look at
>it from the right perspective.  This is a class war, rich against poor.
>In case you didn't know it this war has been going on since civilization
>has existed.  America is moving towards becoming a thirld world
>country.  The rich want slaves; they don't like the middle class and they
>want to eliminate it.  The ultra-rich, who run this country, will not say
>this, maybe they don't even think about this much consciously, but all you
>have to do is look at their actions.

It's not only a "class issue".  Look at other factors . . . you can't build
$49 DVD's here in the USA.  It's a vicious circle, we want cheap products,
but the only way to do that is farm out the labor.  People want more and
more crap for less and less prices.  15 years ago, power car windows were a
luxury . . . now they are common place, as with just about every power
accessory on a car.  From windows, to mirrors, to heated this and
that.  What's the average new car price?

Lumping something in the "it must be this way because brand X is leading
the way" is just plain wrong.  We have a republican in the white house . .
. who cares?   The dot bomb bloom was well on the way to harvest with
democrats at the reigns.  Want some solid predictions?   Here it goes:

1) Housing -- one way or another more people are born than die in the
average year.  College grads looking for apartments, couples looking for
first time homes . . . they've all gotta go somewhere.  Even though the
market may ebb and flow, the demand will always be there.
2) "Big Budget" IT is dead -- Corporate IT jobs are out there, but not like
the late 90's.  We have an interesting principle here at work, more people
hunting for more jobs, but the people in those jobs are doing more with
less.  If you have less hardware headaches then you'll have less to
manage.   I've heard the "Windows is my best sales tool" from repair people
before . . . but as the OS (Windows/Linux/etc...) gets better, the number
of support people goes down.  Good or bad, depending on which side of the
game you are on.
3) Are we rock bottom yet?  -- I don't know that we have hit rock bottom on
the economy.  There's got to be a point at which all the maxed out credit
card accounts come back to collect . . .  Who knows.

I have a lot more opinions and ideas, but like I said before . . . I've got
way too much going on with new clients, existing clients, etc.... to worry
about whether the economy is "bad".  I'm looking to have the best year yet,
and it's not even 1/2 way through the year.  ;-)

-- Bradley Miller