RedHat and Gentoo questions!

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Mon May 12 13:37:44 CDT 2003

Since no one else has responded, I'll give it a shot.

> #1  Is the Gentoo setup pretty straight-forward. I am
> honestly not more
> the intermediate at Linux at best so I don't need anything overly
> complicated at this time (Have too many other things on my mind).
Gentoo is not hard to install. It can be difficult, though if you do
not plan in advance what you want and read ALL of the instructions.

> #2  Is it pretty easy to navigate? Are all the settings hard to find?
> Like screen resolution, desktop settings, device management
> tools, etc.
It is as easy or as hard to navigate as you build it to be. In other
words,
it depends on what you install. If your definition of ease of navigation
means console control, it takes a FreeBSD approach to booting so some
boot scripts are in a different place, etc. If your definition of ease
of navigation is a gui front end that is easy to find things then you
will want to install KDE or Gnome or whatever your favorite window
manager
is.

> #3  Has anyone ever installed Interchange on Gentoo. Interchange was
> originally a program started by RedHat but then dropped and
> taken in by
> a group of programmers. It was originally designed to run
> only on RedHat
> (as far as I know) but since I am not sure all it entails
> with the OS I
> was hoping someone knew if it could run on another distro
> like Gentoo or
> not.
I haven't, but you can check out their website to see if they have a
package
for it.

> #4  Does Gentoo have a reliable CD Burning program? DVD-R burning
> program?
It has ALL the CD burning packages. I never have trouble burning CDs.
I don't happen to have a job with a PC distribution company so a DVD-RAM
is
a pipedream only for me right now. So I can't help you there. I do know
there
are programs that burn DVDs in the Gentoo tree. Basically everything has
been
ported to the Gentoo build. Anything you would find in debian you'll
find in
Gentoo. they even have the rpm package and if you want can install rpms
on
Gentoo.

> #5  Does anyone have any other distros to suggest for me.
I have always liked Mandrake as a user friendly distro, but then Gentoo
gives
more control. Which is kind of like the caveat with C: "You can do
anything with it".

> Apollo P-2600 Printer
Never heard of this printer before. Is it supported in RedHat?

Brian

PS Gentoo takes a long time to install, set aside a weekend for it, or
several nights.