Forms Processing

Jason Munro jason at stdbev.com
Thu May 8 16:48:33 CDT 2003

On May 8, 11:03 am "Jeremy Fowler" <JFowler at westrope.com> wrote:

> However, I can agree with your interpretation that since HTML is a
> markup language, it is not a true programming language. Then you would
> also have to agree that since perl, python, and PHP are scripting
> languages and thus interpreted languages, they are not true programming
> languages either. For another way to interpret "An artificial language
> used to write instructions that can be translated into machine language
> and then executed by a computer." is that the language itself has to be
> translated or complied into machine language which is then executed by a
> computer. So in essence, only those languages that are compiled
> (assembler, C, C++, java, etc) and then stored in a machine language form
> are considered true programming languages. So if one were to include
> scripting languages as a form of programming language, one must also
> include markup languages. Theirs a reason they call them Web Programmers
> you know... ;-)

Script languages (Perl, Python, PHP) are compiled at run time by the
interpreter, compiled languages (C, C++, java) are already in the compiled
state. Aside from that they are in essance the same thing. Mark-up
languages contain no logical constructs (control structures) and because of
that IMHO do no qualify as "programming languages".

 __ Jason Munro
  ___ sailfrog at users.sourceforge.net
   ____ http://hastymail.sourceforge.net/