Forms Processing

Jeremy Fowler JFowler at westrope.com
Thu May 8 14:58:46 CDT 2003

Sorry to be a stickler but...

programming language
n.
An artificial language used to write instructions that can be translated into machine language and
then executed by a computer.

Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

HTML may not have all the constructs and features of most of today's programming languages.
However, considering the above definition, HTML is an artificial language which contains
instructions that is translated into machine language by the web browser to display information on
the screen. Then there is always DHTML which is a Hybrid of HTML mixed with a client-side scripting
language of some kind (JavaScript, VBScript, etc.).

PHP is a full-featured scripting language that can be used like perl, python, ruby, or any of the
numerous shell languages. Granted it's primary use is as a server-side scripting language embedded
in HTML. That's not saying someone can't create a PHP only file and run it like any other UNIX
executable as long as the pound-bang points to an appropriate interpreter.

CGI stands for Common Gateway Interface and it's not a language but a standard for interfacing
external applications with information servers.