Forms Processing

Dustin Decker dustind at moon-lite.com
Wed May 7 22:33:34 CDT 2003

On Wed, 7 May 2003 admin at kclinux.net wrote:

> Does it have to be HTML or could it be PHP?  There's pro's and con's to
> this, but the bottom line is PHP works with MySQL a lot better than HTML
> with a lot less scripting.  HTML is limited on what it can do compared to
> PHP and you have to code a lot more to get it to work.

Let's be sure to call things what they are.  HTML is merely Hyper Text
Markup Language.  It's not a programming language by any stretch of the
imagination.  PHP is an embedded language that is evaluated and executed
prior to serving out a web page... the results themselves being delivered
in HTML format.

When we speak of using HTML to accomplish something, we don't particularly
mean that HTML can interface with MySQL at all.  You have to use some form
of middleware glue, be it PHP, Perl (which is prolly what is being used if
you write a CGI interface, but could certainly be C or Python or any other
language), or anything else.  HTML is stateless and dumb.

> PHP is a little more advanced than HTML, but a lot of it is also the
> same as HTML code.  If you live in the KC area, Microcenter usually has
> PHP books in their discount books isles (all the way in the back by the
> magazines) from anywhere from $4.95 to $9.95.

Again - I agree.  PHP is certainly more advanced, because it _is_ a
programming language, where HTML isn't.

To the original poster:
Feel free to contact me off list, and I can get you started down the road
to making PHP get this done.  Once you have your code the way you like it,
you can pretty up the output.  Shouldn't be very difficult - such as the
Dustin

--
o-----------------------------------o
| Dustin Decker - CNA, MCP          |
| dustin at dustindecker.com       o-------------------------------------o
| Network Engineer              | "Everywhere there rises before our  |
| Preferred Physicians Group    | eyes the specter of a society where |
o-------------------------------| security, if it is attained at all, |
                                | will be attained at the expense of  |
                                | freedom, where the security that is |
				| attained will be the security of    |