Proftpd not working as it should

admin at kclinux.net admin at kclinux.net
Wed May 7 21:51:45 CDT 2003

Here's a copy of mine on one of my servers. Maybe it might help, maybe it
wont.

ServerIdent                     On "FTP Server ready."
ServerAdmin                     admin at desynergy.com
ServerType                      standalone
#ServerType                     inetd
DefaultServer                   on
AccessGrantMsg                  "User %u logged in."
#DisplayConnect                 /etc/ftpissue
#DisplayLogin                   /etc/ftpmotd
#DisplayGoAway                  /etc/ftpgoaway

DefaultRoot                     ~    !wheel

# Use pam to authenticate by default
AuthPAMAuthoritative            on

# Do not perform ident lookups (hangs when the port is filtered)
IdentLookups                    off

# Port 21 is the standard FTP port.
Port                            21

# Umask 022 is a good standard umask to prevent new dirs and files
# from being group and world writable.
Umask                           022

# Chmod isn't allowed by default
AllowChmod                      on

# Default to show dot files in directory listings
LsDefaultOptions                "-a"

# See Configuration.html for these (here are the default values)
#MultilineRFC2228               off
#RootLogin                      off

# Port 21 is the standard FTP port.
Port                            21

# Umask 022 is a good standard umask to prevent new dirs and files
# from being group and world writable.
Umask                           022

# Chmod isn't allowed by default
AllowChmod                      on

# Default to show dot files in directory listings
LsDefaultOptions                "-a"

# See Configuration.html for these (here are the default values)
#MultilineRFC2228               off
#RootLogin                      off
#LoginPasswordPrompt            on
#MaxLoginAttempts               3
#MaxClientsPerHost              none

# To prevent DoS attacks, set the maximum number of child processes
# to 30.  If you need to allow more than 30 concurrent connections
# at once, simply increase this value.  Note that this ONLY works
# in standalone mode, in inetd mode you should use an inetd server
# that allows you to limit maximum number of processes per service
# (such as xinetd)
MaxInstances                    30

# Set the user and group that the server normally runs at.
User                            nobody
Group                           nobody

# Normally, we want files to be overwriteable.

[...]

<Directory /*>
  AllowOverwrite                on
</Directory>