kernel presentation at ILUG on Sat.

Charles Steinkuehler charles at steinkuehler.net
Tue May 6 00:39:20 CDT 2003

Gerald Combs wrote:
> Now that we have bzImage vs zImage thoroughly hashed out, here's my
> question:
>
> When I'm installing a kernel, do I really need to install its System.map
> file as well?

This sort of depends on what you're using System.map for.  The most
important thing is correctly generating the modules.dep file with depmod.

Most disto's typically run depmod at startup, and depmod gets it's
symbol information from the running kernel by default (via /proc/ksyms),
so using the proper System.map file would only be important for running
depmod the first time, just after you built a new kernel but before you
boot it for the first time.

If you're running other tools that require access to the kernel symbols
through something other than the /proc/ksyms interface, you may need to
copy your System.map file somewhere.

A "make modules_install install" typically works for me, which on RH
copies the System.map file to /boot, and even with the default kernel
install script will make an initial modules.dep file.

On my RH box, an rc script then keeps the /boot/System.map symlink
pointed to the currently running kernel at every reboot, so no manual
installation is necessary.

YMMV

--
Charles Steinkuehler