kernel presentation at ILUG on Sat.

Charles Steinkuehler charles at steinkuehler.net
Mon May 5 18:55:49 CDT 2003

Jason Clinton wrote:

> I'm almost completely positive that BZip2 is used if your make target is
> bzImage. Doesn't make target "install" create a gzip image?

No, bzImage and zImage are *BOTH* gzipped.  The difference is in the
boot-loader (aka "pull your self up from your bootstraps") code, and the
resulting difference in allowed gzipped kernel size.  If you look in the
arch/i386/boot directory of your kernel tree, you'll find two different
versions of various bootstrap files, one for "traditional" linux, when
the kernel was smaller (with a 512K limit for total kernel size), and
one for "bigger" images, with a leading "b" to indicate the difference, eg:

bbootsect.s <> bootsect.S
bsetup.s <> setup.S

--
Charles Steinkuehler