kernel presentation at ILUG on Sat.

Hal Duston hduston at speedscript.com
Mon May 5 18:35:24 CDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-05-05 at 12:46, Jason Clinton wrote:
> On the compression subject, I see that post 2.4.18 certain library
> operations are built in to the kernel. (Like gzip and fast-sort). How
> can I call these library functions from C/C++ and why would I want to?

There is no real way (or benefit) to calling these operations from
userspace.  They are put into an internal "library" in kernelspace as
there were multiple device drivers, network layers that needed to do the
same thing.  By moving them into a common location, they didn't have 5
copies of the same sort/zip functionality in the kernel.

> Is it possible to use BZip2 compression for the kernel?

I'm sure it is, but the performance problems outweigh the size
advantages since the folks who would benefit from the smaller size are
probably running on hardware that bzip2 performs poorly on.

--
Ha