kernel presentation at ILUG on Sat.

Jason Clinton me at jasonclinton.com
Mon May 5 17:56:25 CDT 2003

Charles Steinkuehler wrote:

> <ugh>  See previous e-mails.  The kernel does decompress itself into
> memory.  There are many C (and assembly) programs "mashed together" to
> form the kernel binary, but everything is rolled into the single
> bzImage (or zImage) file.
>
> The only loading of seperate binary files to form "one large rutnime
> monolithic kernel" that occurs is if you load kernel modules at
> runtime, and I think even then they'd be considered kernel modules,
> rather than part of a monolithic kernel, as they can still be unloaded.

Is there a way to load kernel modules from the kernel boot command line?
Say I did make such a mistake and were to build in reiserfs as a module
... could I (theoretically, not saying this is good practice) copy the
reiserfs modules from another installation of the same kernel version on
to a floppy and pass something like: kernel root=/dev/hda3
loadmodule=(fd0,0)/reiserfs.o ?

--
Jason Clinton
I don't believe in witty sigs.