What am I missing?

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Mon May 5 17:25:39 CDT 2003

Quoting Bradley Miller <bradmiller at dslonramp.com>:

> At 10:32 PM 5/4/2003 -0500, you wrote:

> >Which one was it?

> There was a "main" one clear at the beginning of my httpd.conf file.  No
> matter what I did do the actual directory, it was set to "none" and killed
> my .htaccess/passwd file.

There's a trade-off between performance and convenience here.  If you have
AllowOverride All set by default, then each HTML request generates a check
for .htaccess files in the directory tree of the requested page.

If you have clients who need to be able to change their own settings
in .htaccess, set the AllowOverride for that specific point in the tree.  If
not, if it's a system you manage entirely, then put the settings in a directory
specific seciton of your main html.conf file instead. and leave AllowOverride
None.