scsi issue review

All About Computers & Web Design all_about_computers at uniteone.net
Fri May 2 18:10:44 CDT 2003

CURRENT:
I have Red Hat 6.0 with the 2.2 kernel installed and it works.. but i do not
wish to use this kernel for my server.. it was just a testing thing...
i have downloaded all drivers known to man for the adaptec aha-2740-t which
turns out to be
the aic7xxx.o driver. i looked inside redhat 6 to find the i/o and irq
assignments that it is using. and i get irq-11(expected) and
i/o-8c00-8cbe(also expected)
Now here is the kicker....
while trying to install redhat 8 i see block device 9 is there for my scsi
but no ioports nor interrupts... no prob right just install the drivers that
come with the distro and bam you are done right.... not the case here.... it
keeps telling me that it cant install the aic7xxx.o so i dowload the
update,,still no go... so i try to use the aic7xxx_old.o and somthing new
happens.. now i get a hellacious stack dump and on lsmod i get aic7xxx_old
(initalizing) cant rmmod--- says it is busy and cant do anything else with
it.. i have tried to pass it different options on both aic7xxx.o and _old.o
so i try to use
 0x140 0x340 irq 9 or 10 or 11 still nuthing so i use i/o 8c00-8cbe, or
9c00-9cfe and still nothing .... i have also tried to contact the guy who
now supports the aic7xxx.o driver but have not heard back from him.
today i will try a new woody distro with a bsd guy's help.. but if none of
that works you can bet your ass ill be at the next lug meeting with a
desperate need for a current install on this bad beast... you see i am
several weeks behind on this project and cant estimate a time to completion
because i am friggin lost...
damon

I have recently aquired a hp NetServer 5/100 LM server.
It contains 4 scsi harddrives and 1 scsi cdrom, 1 ide cdrom, 1.44 floppy
i cannot get any distro to install with the cdrom.img nor with the
other.img.
It appears that it is not initializing the scsi chain. It does however
find the ide cdrom.i have sucuessfully install Windoze 98 and it
recognizes all the devices attached to my system.
the kernel seems to be looking for a module called scsi_mod.
my question is where do i get this and what do i do with it once i have
it....

reply 1
you'll need to find the scsi driver for the primary scsi disk
and load that at boot time so that the OS can find the scsi disk.

reply 2
You didn't mention what distribution you'd tried to install.  If it has an
IDE
CD ROM you should be able to use one of the more modern installers like
Mandrake or RedHat.  Not sure of the state of other installers, but I'm
pretty
sure either Debian or SuSE has a good one, slackweare probably doesn't.

As Brian said, you do have to tell the kernel what SCSI driver to use, but
yours sounds pretty typical.

re
Ok -Jonathan-- what distro have i tried? --Mandrake 8.0, Open Linux
eServer 2.4,SuSE 6.4,Debian 2.1,TurboLinux Server 6.0, Slackware7.0,
RedHat 6.2.....and lo and behold the only one that had the driver for
my adaptec aha-2742,,, REDHAT 6.0...

Brian--I wish i had the distro that you speak of where it asks if you
have a scsi device,,, and actually has the driver for this card..lol
i seem to be a scsi moron.. i run the expert text install and all i get
is.. when it goes to second stage install it crapps out becasue it
cannot load scsi_mod leaving the computer no where to install the os...

ROB --The bios is ignored because the machine uses an EISA
Configuration Utility. which overwrites the bios.so telling the bios to
boot from a scsi device is out of the question.. but thanks for the
thought.

Almost all the distros have asked me for special driver disk... i guess
the whole problem stems from me not knowing how to make the above said
disk or where to get the linux driver for my particular EISA/SCSI card..
I think i may need more help.
The purpose of this box is to be a webserver, ftp server, ssh server.
I  now have redhat 6.0 installed after two days of trial and error. but
i am screwed into a display of VGA16 or an 8bit 640X480 desktop...
And rh 6.0 is before my linux experience so it leaves me a bit
lost in its ancient practices lol.
i guess what i would really like is to get a curernt debian distro
installed... oh what a dream..