HTML posting

Jason Clinton me at jasonclinton.com
Fri May 2 15:34:51 CDT 2003

James Colannino wrote:
> admin at kclinux.net wrote:
>
>> Why not just catch up to date and use a mail client that supports HTML?
>>

> With all respect, many people use command line mail clients that
> inherently cannot support HTML mail.  Not everyone is in a position
> where they can use a mail client that supports HTML.  Besides, it's just
> general good manners, and if anything, good practice, to send posts that
> are readable by the largest possible audience.  It's not like a whole
> bunch of spiffy HTML tags are going to enhance one's message any.
> Spiffed up text or not, the posting to the list is all about
> communication between multiple individuals who share a common interest.
> Where does making your text look cool fall into getting your message
> across?  Especially when to some, it's more of a hinderence than
> anything else.  I'm not saying HTML mail is bad at all.  Like all
> things, there are times to use it, and times to not use it.
>
> James

I don't really have an opinion on this but to be fair, I can think of a
couple of instances where HTML mail would be better.

* Word wrapping. The age-old problem of selecting a wrap width that will
be mostly compatible. In HTML, you just put quoted messages in
breaking.

* Multi-lingual posts or the need to include extraneous characters or
data. Say for instance that this was a math mailing list. Being able to
render MathML in an email message would be invaluable.

* Accessibility. In plain text, nothing tells a screen reader that a
line by itself is a header. In markup, this is indicated.

As for backwards compatibility, all HTML email clients have that built
it. Messages are generally sent with both a plaint text and HTML version
of the message. Mozilla Mail even has the capacity to strip all HTML
from an incoming message or just strip formatting.

IIRC, Mutt (the only command line mail reader worth using anymore) can
strip HTML tags as well.

I don't see what everyone is complaining about.  Live and let live.

--
Jason Clinton
I don't believe in witty sigs.