Linux ATA RAID

Charles Steinkuehler charles at steinkuehler.net
Tue Mar 4 23:43:59 CST 2003

Lucas Peet wrote:
> I've had great luck with Adaptec's 2400a I2O ATA Raid controller.  It was
> really easy to set up.  And 100% Linux compatable.  In fact, the setup CD
> boots from a Linux Kernel and loads up a GUI in X11 to create your RAID!
>
> It supports RAID 0, 1, and 5, has 4 channels, and 32MB SDRAM Cache.  It is a
> bit pricey though, in the $300 range.
>
> http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=423219/search=ata raid
> controller/ut=411e74ea55fd7ab5

Yeah, I've always liked Adaptec controllers.  The biggest problem with
the 2400a is the 4 drive limit.  That get's me about the right amount of
storage today using 4 180Gig drives in RAID5, but I'd like to be able to
expand when (not if :) it's needed.

It looks like the $300 or so cost would be more than offset by the lower
cost per drive for IDE vs. SCSI.

Thanks for the report that these cards work well with linux.  Anyone
else got any linux experience with alterate hardware?

I like the idea of using Serial ATA drives, it just doesn't look like
they're quite shipping yet.

--
Charles Steinkuehler
charles at steinkuehler.net