RedHat 9 install prob!

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Sun Jun 29 20:19:36 CDT 2003

Quoting Duane Attaway <dattaway at dattaway.org>:

> xf86config on my system shows 566 different card types supported and
> should work with the same old equipment just like it did back in the old
> days.  I haven't seen any of the old, perfectly good drivers deleted.

I'm thinking of stuff that wasn't supported when it was new.  A year or so ago
I had four different levels of Compaq Despro - from P120's through PII 400's.
I ran five different GUI installs on them all, and the only one they were able
to complete on was the 400.

Newer distros are (almost) constantly getting better, at least at defaulting
to text if they can't do the GUI, but it does look like RH9's slipped back a
bit.  Mandrake's a bit flakey on the installs too.

One thing I've found helpful, if terribly annoying, is to get through the
install with minimal packages and options, then add the things you missed once
the system is up and running.