RedHat 9 install prob!

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Sun Jun 29 19:16:01 CDT 2003

Quoting Patrick Thurmond <pthurmond at kc.rr.com>:

> Hey all, I am having trouble installing RedHat 9 on my second HDD
> (60GB).
> Every time I boot up it gets to the media test screen which you can skip
> or test and I usually skip but I have done it both ways and I am trying
> to use the graphical install. If I do the graphical install then once I
> get past the media test screen the screen gives a little text and then
> throws up a black screen and doesn't go any further.
> If I do a text install it does get past this black screen and lets me
> install it.

Did you do an MD5 check on your download?  I suppose you could verify the
actual CD as well.

If the text install works, what's wrong with that?  There may be something odd
about your video setup that the GUI installer doesn't like, or it may just be
that tings done in a slightly different order work better on your system.

Are you solidly sure that the disk is installed properly, good, properl
detected by the BIOS?  If there is a problem, like both devices being set to
master or slave or something, it might only show up when the GUI install was
running, or it could be bad RAM that the text install doesn't reach into.

But like I said, if text installation works, go from there and don't worry
about it.

I put Mandrake 9.1 on this laptop, and it did take me three tries.  I'm not
sure the first CD I tried was really a clean burn; and there's limited RAM on
this system, so it worked a lot better in text mode than in GUI.  I've since
had to re-install three more times (wireles driver lockups), and methodically
using the text mode worked great.