trying to install a module

Brian Kelsay bkelsay at comcast.net
Sun Jun 29 18:31:52 CDT 2003

Brian D wrote:

>>>system.  The video for linux (v4l2) has to be
>>
>>built first and then the
>>
>>>BrookTree (bttv) module must be built for using a
>>
>>video capture card.
>
> Try and get redhat versions if possible. [reason
> below]
>

>>>Anyway, when I try to run a make on the modules
>>
>>source I get an error
>>
>>>and a message that my kernel is not enabled for>
>
> modules.  That is BS,
> It is probably referring to your kernel source
> configuration.
>

>>I have noticed Redhat is famous for adding
>>"features" in the kernel.
>>Nearly all these added blinkenlights you don't
>

> "Oh, stop whining. I have literally thousands of
> binking and flashing and beeping lights. They're
> blinking and flashing and beeping and Flashing and
> Blinking and Beeping and BLINKING and FLASHING AND
> BEEPING ..."
>

>> It may be best to
>>get the original Linus tarball.  I wouldn't be
>
> I wouldn't recommend that on a RH system. It is very
> HIGHLY probably if you install a stiock kernel you
> will completely fubar the rest of your RH system.
>
> It is a known fact that RH highly modifies mauch of
> the code in a stock distro. Some of it is bleeding
> edge some of it includes bug fixes and patches that
> have not made it past the official release. Plus they
> spend a lot of time fixing code and posting it back to
> be approved. They have many faults but they put a lot
> of good work out there. You best bet is to always find
> code that is 100% RH compatible on a RH system. And I
> do MEAN 100%, not 99 and 44/100 pure. It is also
> somewhat possible that your downloaded source can't
> tell that module support is loaded because of some
> funky patch that RH is using or some 2.5 feature that
> breaks compatibility.
>
> Sorry, I know this isn't really the answer you wanted
> to hear. It may be time to consider debian or gentoo.
>
> Brian D.
I do have the kernel sources for the currently running kernel
2.4.20-18.9.i686 from redhat.  It has loadable kernel module support
turned on and support for video for linux and my two different types of
capture card, bt848 and bt878.  Should I just recompile it?  Can I do
this with make oldconfig to save myself some time and hassle?  Some of
this is a little out of my realm, but I do want to learn.  I'm trying to
do some new things w/ linux, but I'm have to piece together instructions
from a bunch of sources that assume you know all kinds of things.  I'm
reading the kernel howto and I'M going into info overload.  I need to go
throw up.

Much better.  I changed the white background in Mozilla to a shade of
gray.  I think that is part of my nausea problem.  Now back to the kernel.

So am I better off w/ the new kernel from kernel.org (2.4.21) or just
recompiling the existing 2.4.20-18.9?

Brian