Running a small server...memory troubles...

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Thu Jun 26 15:54:30 CDT 2003

Quoting Matt G <linux at bizniche.com>:

> Thanks for the comments so far everyone...  There is definately a
> problem...my system has ground to a halt, like it does every day after a few
> hours.

> I did install x...but it's not running.  I'm willing to bail on RH for a
> server.  All I want to do with it is run sshd, httpd, maybe a mail server if
> I figure it out...for I could skip that for now.  Mandrake then?  Any
> special way to install it?

Your problem is not likely to be anything specific to the RedHat installation.
I'm guessing it's much more likely you have a thermal problem on the
motherboard, or some other hardware problem.

Next to that, if you've got some squirrelbait chipset somewhere in the system,
and RedHat's driver for it isn't stable, that might explain things, but I
doubt it.

I run RedHat 7.2 and 7.3 on several different servers including a 16M 200MHz
firewall, a commercial webserver on a blade server, and a 650MHz deskpro.
None of them grind to a halt as you describe.