OT: various off topic items

Duane Attaway dattaway at dattaway.org
Thu Jun 26 15:26:57 CDT 2003

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003, Mailing List Account for Jason Runyan wrote:

> Tim Reid wrote:
> > Does anyone have much experiance with UPS's for personal use?  What are
> > some good brands?  What are some good spec's to look for in

All UPS units seem to have gel cell batteries.  Expect a few years of
life for anything you get.  Spend $50 or $1000.  A few years.

Or do what I did and shell the new battery for a car/boat battery.  Most
UPS units that can fit near a desk use 12 or 24 volts.  I currently have
replaced a 7Ah battery with a 125Ah marine battery, which gives me
wonderful outage times.  The charging rate from the APS unit is 5 amps
with a float of 13.8 volts, which is more than enough for trouble free
operation.  The battery case I use is for marine applications and helps
prevent contact with the hot side of the 120VAC that is present on the
UPS's primary side.  Run time is around 24 hours fully loaded in my case.

Something was also mentioned about sound cards.  I never saw the need for
anything more exotic than a cheap Soundblaster or clone.  The ADC, DAC,
and amplifier circuitry all seem to be tuned to the same performance
levels.  If I ever saw a chart comparing signal to noise levels, frequency
bandwidth, etc., with a significant disparity, I would be impressed.

--
http://dattaway.org