OT: various off topic items

Steven Elling ellings at kcnet.com
Thu Jun 26 03:34:45 CDT 2003

On Wednesday 25 June 2003 19:40, Jason Clinton wrote:
> Tim Reid wrote:
> > Are there any audiophiles out there in LUG-land?  I'm looking for a
> > mid-line soundcard that is going to sound sweet, and work with MS and
> > Linux both.  Does anyone have any opinions on this as well.  (I think
> > that my second NIC is causing a lot of EM noise, and that is the main
> > problem with my integrated C-Media chipset)
>
> You can pick up a SoundBlaster Live! for $35 from either compdepo.com or
> betek.com here in town. It works in both Linux and Windows and has been
> the standard for audio for quite some time.

I'm not too fond of SoundBlasters anymore.  The reason why is because they
tend to use shoddy 3.5 mm jacks --- or at least they used to.  Every
SoundBlaster I've had developed loose contacts in the 3.5 mm jacks, which
caused static, within a year.  I also would have to climb behind the
computer and jiggle the connectors to just the right position to get sound
out of both speakers.

I had someone recommend Hoontech about 2 years ago and bought one.  I talked
about a Hoontech sound card a little in another post and have not had a
problem with it.  The card is fully supported by OSS and ALSA.