how to network...

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Mon Jun 23 15:39:49 CDT 2003

Quoting Matt G <linux at bizniche.com>:

> How can I get to those partitions from the server?  I've been reading about
> NFS and Samba.  Will either of those work for both boots?  That is...if I
> ssh to my server from work...will I be able to get to the files on my
> desktop in linux and/or windows?

If you set up file sharing for Windows networks on the Windows machine, then a
very basic Samba client install on the server will allow you to access them.
When the system boots to Linux, you have the choice of either NFS or Samba
file sharing.

I'm not sure about RedHat, but Mandrake installs an auto-mount system that
allows you to find any NFS share on your local network at
/net/<server-name>/share.  That's handy, but somewhat difficult to set up for
samba when the serving machine is in Windows mode.

What I would do is to set Samba up to share the same folders with the same
names; that way smb://wifescomputer/sharedspace is allways
smb://wifescomputer/sharedspace.  I would use autofs to mount them to a
consistent point on the local filetree (like /wifescomputer).

Reading:  A little bit of the Samba docs, the autofs docs, and the smbmount
man page.

Let us know how it turns out!