OT: Where to buy computer parts?....how to network...

Jason Clinton me at jasonclinton.com
Mon Jun 23 14:44:09 CDT 2003

Matt G wrote:

>  How can I get to those partitions from the server? I've been reading
>  about NFS and Samba. Will either of those work for both boots? That
>  is...if I ssh to my server from work...will I be able to get to the
>  files on my desktop in linux and/or windows?
>
>  If anyone can point me in the right direction so I can read up, I'd
>  appreciate it.

There are a couple of approaches:

1. SSH 2 has an sFTP protocol built in to it that allows you to access
any mounted file system.

2. You could set up a secure VPN so that you can Samba over it to get to
your files. You cannot mount a NFS partition on Windows without buying
an expensive software package.

I prefer option #1.  I would NFS mount the partitions from your desktop
to your server. Set up SSH port forwarding on your Lynksys router to the
server. Use a SSH file transfer client for Windows like WinSCP or
Filezilla. Connect. Whatever your server can see, you now have access
to. Also, JEdit, the multiplatform text editor, and a few other rare
applications have native support for SSH /as a filesystem/ which is
interesting because -- basically -- you can transparently access any
file system you would be able to see via SSH. (Now if someone only made
a Windows extention that allowed you to mount an sFTP session as a drive...)

Though, I must admit that I've never tried VPN -- it may be easier.