Java guru question

Jason Clinton me at jasonclinton.com
Sat Jun 21 19:42:09 CDT 2003

I have a question about the Java security model:

I'm not a Java programmer but I use enough Java applets that I
understand how the JRE works, etc. I am trying to access a site that
uses a Java applet called IBM Host-On-Demand. The long and short of it
is: this version of the applet was written to work with the Microsoft
version of the JVM and so I can't log in to this thing from Linux and
the Sun JRE because of differences in the secuirty model between
Microsoft and Sun's implementations.

Upon searching, I discovered that there are some interesting security
policy files in /opt/sun-j2sdk-1.4.1/jre/lib/security but they use some
Java language syntax. I want to _lax_ the Sun policies to allow things
that are allowed by Microsoft's JVM so I can access this site. What are
some entries I can make in these files to do that?

--
Jason Clinton
I don't believe in witty sigs.