Linux PVR

Brian Kelsay bkelsay at comcast.net
Thu Jun 19 00:47:58 CDT 2003

I just started building my PVR box the other night.  I have an ATI
Radeon 7000 video card, Sound Blaster Live Value for sound and 2 Video
Capture cards.  I believe both cards are supported by Linux.  The first
is an older (1997) STB TV and FM Radio card and the other is a I/O Magic
DR-PCTV100 that is really a relabelled Pinnacle PCTV card.  I have a
3Com 10/100 NIC and a 40 GB Hard drive.  Motherboard has BX chipset,
384MB RAM and P III-500.  I think this should be powerfull enough for
video capture, but I may run into speed problems if I want to watch one
show and record another or watch with picture-in-picture.

I started the RedHat 9 install the other night and came back to it late
last night when it came time to identify the hardware.  My video, NIC
and soundcard were recognized and set up automatically.  I am going to
install Apt-RPM from freshrpms.net before I get any further.  Someone is
linked to from the mythtv.org site that has built RPMs for the MythTV
install.  I thought I'd try that before building the whole mess myself.
  If that doesn't work I'll build the necessary files from source or
multiple RPMs.

I'll let everyone how it's going from the various steps.  I may do a
presentation at the end of the build when I've got it working.
Brian