Various Help Needed on SuSE (8.1) Install

Rich Edelman redelman at speedscript.com
Wed Jun 18 15:20:32 CDT 2003

On Wednesday 18 June 2003 09:08 am, Jonathan Hutchins wrote:
> Quoting Robert Johnson <Rjohns22 at kc.rr.com>:
> > Problem #3
> >
> > Whether I type the 'halt' command in a Root Shell, or whether I try to
> > turn off the Computer via the KDE Desktop logout process, the Laptop
> > will not power down.
>>
> > Problem #5
> >
> > The OS/KDE Desktop is not regocognizing the Power Managment Features of
> > the laptop.
>
> These two are clearly related.  Is APMD installed and running?
>
> Have you found anything on the XFree86 site on your graphics chipset?

Actually, for "Problem #3", you don't need apmd or acpid installed and
running, system poweroff is handled entirely by the kernel.

That being said, I believe the laptop in question does not have APM support,
only ACPI support. Most distros turn off ACPI support, as it's not entirely
implemented in Linux. I'm not sure about SuSE 8.1, but I know that SuSE 8.2
does not turn off ACPI support (look for kernel boot parameter 'pci=noacpi'
or 'acpi=off').

Also, that laptop may have a broken ACPI implementation, but it is possible to
fix that yourself. Read http://acpi.sourceforge.net/dsdt/index.php for more
details on that.

(Problem #5) Also note that with linux kernel 2.4.x, it is not possible to
suspend/resume properly with ACPI (but I believe it works with APM, could
someone else verify this?). Sleep/standby reportedly works fine by both APM
and ACPI-enabled machines that support sleep-modes (ACPI mode S1).

Rich