Various Help Needed on SuSE (8.1) Install

Duane Attaway dattaway at dattaway.org
Wed Jun 18 13:43:20 CDT 2003

On Wed, 18 Jun 2003, Robert Johnson wrote:

> 1.) Regarding 'Are you using CUPS for your printer driver?'

There are two printer drives for linux: cups and lpr.  I'm not a GUI fan
as everyone has wildly differently changing interfaces each month, but you
can easily find out what you have from the command line:

ps aux | grep cupsd
ps aux | grep lpr

One of those commands will tell you if you have either service currently
running.  Cups has a nice web based interface that can be accessed by the
port it leaves open for your local machine:

http://localhost:631/

Chances are you are using cups, since it is easy to use for beginners.
Lpr is easily accessed through the command line.

> 2.) 'There is also a Lucent driver out that may work with many
> winmodems.'

The following page might illustrate your winmodem choices:

http://www.idir.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html

> 'I believe you may use the i810 driver for xfree.' Where do I go to
> locate these drivers so I can download/install them?

These drivers are all included within xfree.  Many people use different
configruation programs for X.  There are many.  Mine is a command line
utility and might frighten little children (xf86config.)  I'm not sure
what fancy GUI utility people use these days (Xconfigurator?)

--
http://dattaway.org