Various Help Needed on SuSE (8.1) Install

Duane Attaway dattaway at dattaway.org
Wed Jun 18 13:03:21 CDT 2003

On Wed, 18 Jun 2003, Robert Johnson wrote:

> OS Loaded On:  Toshiba Laptop - Satellite 1135-S1552

> Problem #1
>
> I cannot get the OS to recognize the integrated modem. YaST2 is not
> detecting that there is a modem in the Laptop.

The 82801DB part number you listed for the modem is an intel controller
hub chip in the micro ball grid array configuration.  I suspect your modem
is like the one in my Toshiba laptop, which was a winmodem.  Since I got
cablemodem, you may have my old pcmcia modem if you wish.  There is also a
Lucent driver out that may work with many winmodems.

> Problem #2
>
> The OS is not recognizing the Laptop's graphics card & monitor (YaST2 -
> 'Intel Montara GML 128 Bit Graphic Accellerator' or it has an 'Intel
> 852GM 128 Bit Graphic Accellerator'.

I believe you may use the i810 driver for xfree.

> Problem #3
>
> Whether I type the 'halt' command in a Root Shell, or whether I try to
> turn off the Computer via the KDE Desktop logout process, the Laptop
> will not power down. The OS seems to shut itself down, but the power
> remains on. The last three lines in the shutdown log reads:
>
> proc unmounted
> The system will be halted immediately
> Master Resource Control: runlevel 0 has been           reached

Your laptop may use APM or ACPI for its power management.  You might be
using the "other" one.  Also, Toshiba has a different IO options which may
be enabled with the Toshiba Laptop Support compile time options in the
kernel.

> Problem #4
>
> I cannot get my HP Printers installed / working. (Model: HP Deskjet 712c
> & Deskjet 3425) The OS 'seems' to recognize / support the model 712c
> (via the parellel port), but I cannot get anything to print to it; not
> even a test. The OS sees the model 3425 printer (via the USB port)
> during an auto-detect, but will not allow me to configure it.

Are you using CUPS for your printer driver?

> Problem #5
>  The OS/KDE Desktop is not regocognizing the Power Managment Features of
> the laptop.

It sounds like your kernel has enabled the "other" power managment
feature.  You have a choice of APM or ACPI, but both do not seem to work
well at the same time.  They also have much different interfaces.  If you
have both compiled into the kernel, only one may be used.  You can pass
the "apm=off" boot option to enable the ACPI interface and try it out.

--
http://dattaway.org