SCSI CDRW Tray Locking Problem

Steven Elling ellings at kcnet.com
Sat Jun 14 23:17:47 CDT 2003

I've got a Yamaha CRW6416S SCSI CDRW drive that upon cold boot will allow me
to lock the drive tray using cdctl without having a disc in it.  But, once
I unlock it, I cannot lock it again unless I put a CD in it.  cdctl does
not report any errors but I do get the kernel message "Device not ready.
Make sure there is a disc in the drive."

I would like to find out how to fix this because my chair is at the same
height as the eject button and I hit it all the time.  And NO, leaving a
CDROM in the drive is NOT an option.  I've search on google and looked on
Yamaha's site but cannot find anything.

The CDRW firmware revision is 1.0d, which is the newest, so updating it
won't help.  I'm wondering if a scsi bus reset will do the trick and would
it affect my main drive which is also scsi?