Creating your own Live CD Linux

Rip Cord ripcrd6 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 11 16:36:22 CDT 2003

Using Slackware Linux as a Live CD Toolbox

The article describes how to start with base system
from the Slackware install disks and add other apps
that would be useful for your situation (rescue, virus
clean up, etc.).

I am sending this because I got into a lively
discussion w/ someone at the last meeting over a
bootable CD project.  I still think the easiest
solution is the bootable CD and USB storage of some
sort for files and docs you want to save.  I even saw
a watch with 128MB USB storage bilt in the other day.
You can find those at Think Geek or at the mfgr.
website.  The guy I was talking to mentioned
damnsmalllinux (http://www.damnsmalllinux.org), which
I have downloaded and tried out.  I think that is
still a good choice for a super minimal system if that
is what you want.  It boots very fast and you can add
or subtract whatever you want.  He has some info on
his site for modifying the distro and i'm sure he
would provide further guidance via email.  Right now
he's at 48.1 MB for the ISO.  You could put a lot more
in there and still fit on a 3 1/2" CDRW.

Later,
Brian