Replacing bad CDRom drive

Steven Elling ellings at kcnet.com
Mon Jun 9 23:30:24 CDT 2003

On Monday 09 June 2003 17:50, Jon Moss wrote:
> Is Linux (Redhat 7.3 currently installed) Plug-N-Play?  I've reviewed the
> HowTos at the Linux Documentation Project (the CDROM one is nearly two
> years old) and it seems to indicate that I will have to re-install or
> re-compile the kernel.  Is this true?

If your old CDROM drive was IDE/ATA and your new drive is IDE/ATA, it should
be as simple as slap it in and go.  If your new drive is not IDE/ATA or the
same interface as the old, you will need to make sure the kernel has
support for the particular interface the drive uses and re-compile/install
the kernel.