Metings vs. list

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Mon Jun 2 15:00:36 CDT 2003

As someone who's participated in on-line communities for many years, I have to
say that I'm not disappointed that the KCLUG meetings are what they are.If
they were great, I would feel bad about missing them.  I would still miss
them, but I'd feel bad.

If the meetings became great things to go to, where significant exchanges took
place, you'd see a rift start to form between those who are list-only
participants and those who are meeting-first participants.

Communities that form on-line, as this one has, have their own dynamic that
doesn't necessarily translate to a physical presence meeting.  An on-line
community allows a degree of filtering, time-shifting, and alternate reality
for all of us.  Physical presence is limiting in it's way.

Some of us think places like Denny's and La Tortuga are great places to get
together with some friends.  They're not meant to be about location, it's who
you're with.  Others are so put off by the locations we never go.  Some of us
can't make the meetings because of time or distance - and that's not going to
change no matter where or when you hold the meeting.

Think of that important element that it's not where the meeting is held, but
who comes and what happens.  That's why the list works.  It's in a virtual
place, at a virtua time, and the people who show up are what matter.

We now return you to your previous carping session.  We suggest that, as a
step toward returning to a Linux subject, you discuss implementing spam
filtering on home system.