The List has returned!

Scott Smith scott at roadtoad.net
Thu Jul 31 20:38:52 CDT 2003

Heh, m4...

Have you tried Postfix or Exim? What's the biggest load you've had in
terms of load avg, queue size etc? What kind of machines have you run
Sendmail on?

I can tell you first hand that Sendmail does not handle being slammed
like Postfix does. I've seen Ultra 2s (circa 97-98 SPARCs) running
Sendmail get slammed with tens of thousands of messages at once, and
it's not pretty.

I've seen old versions of Netscape Mail server (3.x), Sendmail, Postfix,
Exim, and a custom MTA written and run by a very large well-known free
E-mail site owned by another very large well-known software company that
starts with an M, and I can tell you that Sendmail is probably 2nd to
last on that list in terms of performance.

Scott