Default viewer in Gnome

Apollo apollo7772 at comcast.net
Thu Jul 31 19:52:18 CDT 2003

When in Gnome, I double click on an image file and it opens in Eye of
Gnome.   I don't like Eye of gnome and the more I work on this problem
the more I hate it.  I really want image files to open in Gqview so I
can thumb through several of them.  I have tried to change the default
image viewer to Gqview but when I double click on the image file it
keeps opening in Eye of Gnome.  I have searched Google on this topic and
found some tutorials on how to change the default but they aren't
helping.

What I've done is gone in to 'File types and programs', selected
Images/jpeg, click Edit, and under 'Default action' and I set gqview at
the default.  I then go back to foo.jpg, double click on it and it still
opens in Eye of Gnome.   I can right click on it and view in gqview but
thats not what I want.
It is possible to double click on a .jpg, .bmp, etc and have it open
with whatever viewer you want or does Gnome LOCK you in to using Eye of
Gnome?

Thanks,
     Apollo