Swapping Drives...

Steven Elling ellings at kcnet.com
Mon Jul 21 21:39:24 CDT 2003

On Monday 21 July 2003 12:32, Matt G wrote:
> So, I'd make a dir /home/me/temp and mount it there...  copy all my stuff
> from /home/* to /home/me/temp, and then remount it as /home/ with my
> fstab. That's the idea?

Correct me if I'm wrong here guys, but, wouldn't this bork/fill your
filesystem if you recursively copy everything. i.e.:

cp -a /home/* /home/me/temp
or
cp -dpR /home/* /home/me/temp

will do the following:

/home/me gets copied to /home/me/temp/me
/home/me/temp gets copied to /home/me/temp/me/temp
/home/me/.kde gets copied to /home/me/temp/me/.kde

and so on.

I just tested the recursive copy and it will do this.  So, don't mount the
directory you want to copy to underneath the location your are copying
from.