Swapping Drives...

Frank Wiles frank at wiles.org
Mon Jul 21 17:38:08 CDT 2003

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 12:04:02 -0500
"Matt G" <linux at bizniche.com> wrote:

> So, I have my little server running running with these specs:
>
> 233mhz amd k6, 32mb ram, 4gb hdd, pretty minimal debian install.
>
> I have a 15gb hdd I want to use for this, mostly for user account
> space etc. So, what should I do to add it?
>
> Is this the kind of thing where I should just mirror the 4gb drive
> onto the 15gb drive, and then remove the 4gb?  Or can I add the 15,
> and tell/home/whatever to be on the 15 somewhere?   Then move all the
> /home/whatever stuff from the 4gb drive to the 15 and leave all 4gb
> for system stuff.

  I'm betting that most of your data will be stored inside of /home.

  So do this:

  1) mv /home /oldhome
  2) Mount your new drive as /home
  3) mv /oldhome/* /home

  Make sure to edit your fstab, etc to make the mounts permanent.  This
  way you can keep using your 4GB drive for the main OS, logs, etc. and
  use all of the 15GB for data inside of /home