PDF (was ipopd)

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Sat Jul 19 01:49:44 CDT 2003

On Friday 18 July 2003 11:43 pm, Brian Kelsay wrote:

> Use pdftotext.  Hal Duston used it to convert an 800 page manual at
> Denny's the other night and it took just a minute or 30 seconds.  It was
> fast and flawless, now greppable.

For some reason it never got installed on this server - I'll have to track it
down.  That's just the thing though, I shouldn't have to.  If they're going
to distribute a standard *NIX tarball, the INSTALL file should be plain text.

If they're going to do binary crap, they should do Debian and RPM packages.

I really can't think of any appropriate reason to put the manual in PDF.
HTML, man files, plain text, even (gak) tex info files, but there's no reason
to preserve the pretty fonts.

Except Qualcom has always let a severe Mac mentality inform their work, and a
PDF looks the same on KDE as it does on a Mac.  Maybe that's it.