Sendmail question

Brian Kelsay bkelsay at comcast.net
Fri Jul 18 23:40:00 CDT 2003

Brian D wrote:

> My sendmail reference is at home and we have a
> sendmail daemon running on a relay box and of course
> we plan on taking down the Exchange server over the
> weekend for servicing. The sendmail box has the
> domains we need to relay for over the weekend listed
> as both receive and relay entries. This is one of
> those little prepackaged Cubes with a linux core. So
> we have a gui view of the sendmail files.
> My question is do we need the receive entries in
> addition to the relay entries, or was that a
> configuration error on somebody's part?
>
> Thanks,
> Brian

You don't want it to relay now, there is nothing to relay to.  You want
it to spool in /var/spool/mail and hold them til the Exchange server is
back up.  You may have to create the user mailfiles in var/spool/mail
unless that is already done.  Maybe it will save *@yourdomain.com in one
big /var/spool/mail/yourdomain.com like when it was relaying.
Howto queue mail for another domain:

http://www.sendmail.org/faq/section4.html#4.14

Brian