networking woes

Killerpenguins lerninlinux at comcast.net
Fri Jul 18 02:56:45 CDT 2003

Sorry for the blathering, most of my family doesn't want to know or
hear anymore about computers then what they need.
In the original post I described my network problem.  A laptop with one
network card, that needs to be transportable between 4 networks.  One
Win network with dhcp at 192.168.1.xxx and special workgroup name (not
sure is workgroup names are needed for samba), the second one dhcp
(range 192.168.123.xxx), multiple os's, workgroup name different again.
The third; different workgroup name, fixed IP's two subnets.  The
fourth dhcp (currently) with some fixed ip's, and yet another workgroup
name.
I've heard of ipalias but I've never heard of it being set to 4
networks and dhcp and fixed ip's.

Thanks for listening

The system is an ECS desknote 1.6 celeron, 512pc2100 desktop mem, 40gb
5400 harddrive, 4 usb and 1 1394 ports, freaking wintel modem (very
recent linmodem) sis900 onboard ethernet, sis650 chipset, dvd/cdrw and
15" moniter that I finally found the specs for at desknote.biz.