networking woes

Killerpenguins lerninlinux at comcast.net
Thu Jul 17 16:56:03 CDT 2003

Won't be able to find the error message for a while,  it is a single
boot machine (scrubed hd and installed RH8)  Mandrake 8.2 worked fine
on these and from what I am seeing on the web it probably is a video
issue with some of the newer sis drivers. My networking is the big
issue as I have multiple machines in tear down mode (redoing computer
room) when room is done I plan on scrubbing most wintel boxes and
putting various nix's on them. (Redhat 8/9 Mandrake 9.1, love to put
gentoo on one to try to get more comfortable with nix)  I will probably
keep Win on 2 or three exclusivally (certain windows only programs) and
dual boot my game machine.  I have some lofty goals but little time to
learn them, I went from NT to Win98 for the games but I like the
networking and the stability so that is Linux.

Linux goals
1 get comfortable with it (regular desktop)
2 have a portable Linux system (can be secured in case of theft)
3 custom configure my kernel to understand it better and use things
like the iscsi standard
4 Build my network to set up and test servers and configurations

This weekend I will try to reinstall Mandrake and see what is wrong,
may try do minimum install to test video debate.