RH 7 Joining domain

Brian Kelsay bkelsay at comcast.net
Thu Jul 17 00:02:49 CDT 2003

Ian Collins wrote:

> I have installed Red Hat 7 as a server. The problem that I am having is
> integrating it into my windows network. How do I assign it an IP address
> and get it to work with windows xp and 98.

use you favorite editor to open /etc/resolv.conf and input your DNS
settings, the DNS server for your domain and your ISP's and at the end
enter a line 'search yourdomain.com' where you put your local network or
workgroup name (fqdn).  You should also set the PC to use DHCP if your
network uses this and then you will get an IP and it may also get the
DNS addresses.  I don't recall how RH 7 did this from the GUI, come to
think of it I didn't use 7.0.
Brian