CUPS

Brian Kelsay bkelsay at comcast.net
Wed Jul 16 23:36:03 CDT 2003

ismgr wrote:

> Any suggestions on how to setup printers this way?
>
> The HP LaserJet 2100M we use is setup on the network (peer-to-peer) via
> a parallel cable from a Win98 box, but also is running into the switch
> directly via a Localtalk-to-Ethernet bridge.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> The printer itself is not an IP printer, so I am kinda at a loss for
> what to put in the "location" field in the CUPS admin.

Are you sure the bridge doesn't have an IP assigned?  How do other
computers get to it besides looking for the share on the Win98 box?
Why not put the IP of the w98 box in the browser (Konqueror) and see
what comes up.  If the printer is truely shared Konq most likely will
find it.  Please don't tell me your network runs on broadcast, but if so
there are some steps you can and should take.  Did you know that even in
a peer-to-peer network you can use TCP/IP network methods to make Macs,
Linux and Windows available to all?  I'm trying not sound like an ass,
but I don't know what you know about networking.  I learned about all
this stuff by coming to LUG meetings and reading stuff on the list.
Brian