Publishing in Linux

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Tue Jul 15 22:03:12 CDT 2003

Page layout... sheesh...

Almost every text on Linux I've ever had to wade through had extensive
chapters on using Linux to prepare text for publication.  Console-based Linux
is just chock-full of tools to do page layout.  These are all from the days
when your professor was spending the time he should have put into class
preparation into trying to write the Great American Textbook using a line
editor on the local mainframe.

Many of these are still actually the base software that publishers use to
prepare the text for press, so you may be a step ahead.

Given that, you should be able to get by, but I don't really know where the
process has gone since Linux added a GUI.