Need suggestions.

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Tue Jul 15 21:31:24 CDT 2003

On Tuesday 15 July 2003 01:28 pm, Chris Wagner wrote:

> I am considering moving to Yellow Dog Linux on my primary work
> machine.

One big question raised is, since the machine is a Mac, are you talking about
dealing with Mac versions of MS Office files or with Wintel versions?  Moving
files from Mac filesystems can really be a challange sometimes.

Why are you converting a Mac instead of a Wintel box?  Existing
incompatibilities with the rest of the install base?

I *think* that the Windows version of PowerPoint has an option to export a
slide presentation to a non-PP format like animated GIF or something.
(Having moved on from having to support such nonsense, I'm no longer sure.)
There should at least be ways to convert the PP presentation to a standard web
format.

Mandrake offers tools to import the TrueType fonts from your Windows
installation (presumably all licensed to you and legal).  RedHat does not.
Don't know about Yellow Dog, thought it'd be unlikely to import Mac TrueTypes
directly.

Remember: in any reasonable business projection, hardware does not have a
significant cost, propietary software does, but is insignificant compared to
the cost of hiring, training, and retaining skilled staff.  (Investment in
staff expertise in OpenSource software has been shown to have a net gain,
sorry I can't cite the proper reference from here.)