Is 32M of RAM enough?

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Tue Jul 15 10:45:18 CDT 2003

On Monday 14 July 2003 09:55 pm, David Mohr wrote:

> Has anyone been successful loading a full version of SuSE 8.1 Professional
> on 32M of RAM?  I’m asking because I have an old laptop and, if at all
> possible, do not want to purchase more RAM.  I know the minimum requirement
> is 64M, but I figured I would ask just in case.  If it possible, please
> tell me what modification, if any, you made to accommodate the lack of RAM.

I've done it with Mandrake, which is a known RAM hog.

Using text install went far better than GUI.   This appears common to the
current (9.x) RPM based installers, and would probably apply to SuSE as well.

You'll be better off with a simpler window manager than enlightenment/KDE or
Gnome.

Don't even consider trying to multitask, switching between programs while you
wait for the other one to load.  Yours will be a single focus machine.