You say MODE-EM, I say Modem

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Fri Jul 11 11:22:45 CDT 2003

David Holland wrote:

> > > Funny thing happened today after reading these posts.  I installed
> > > RoadRunner business class at a customers house.  I had some trouble
> > > getting connected and had to call their tech support.  I talked to 3
> > > techs and they called it a "Cable Router" rather than a cable modem.

Ok, by definition a router chooses routes for packets - decides whether a
packet goes out pipe A or pipe B (or just stays in the local cloud without
getting passed).  None of the Cable connectivity devices I know of do anything
but pass the packets straight through, so they're not routers, they're bridges
if anything.

As far as I can remember, the correct term for a unit that passes traffic from
one medium/protocol to another has been a bridge (unless it was a modem).  I
suppose it could be an "Access Point" as in 802.11x wireless.

They're called Cable Modems though.  Have been since the first cable system
went in out west, since Lawrence got 'em, since I first heard of them.  When a
word that may have specific meaning is assembled with a modifier (Cable in
this case), it need not logically follow the functional definition of the
original word.  A "Cable Modem" need not be a "modem".