Hard Disk DMA/Kernel question

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Fri Jul 11 10:58:26 CDT 2003

Quoting David Brain <brains at planetkc.com>:

> If the DMA errors don't seem to be causing problems you might just
> ignore them - if you turn DMA off you will take a performance hit.

I've been just ignoring them, but as I get other things worked out that
bubbles toward the top of the list.

It throws about six errors on startup, then says it's disabling DMA for that
disk.  Given the vintage, I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't DMA capable.

> ... also a htparm -t rate about 6-7 times larger.

Looks like I have plenty of opportunity to learn about HD tuning...