accessing outside of network from Windows NT box

Joe Cho ksjoecho at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 10 19:23:37 CDT 2003

Hello, anyone,

I have a dummy question about how to troubleshoot
network connection.

I have Windows NT box attached to a LinkSys hub and
Cable Modem Toshiva PCX 1100).
I have  a Linux Redhat ( Redhot?) 8 that is attached
to the same network.
This box is working great.

Only problem is that this Windows NT box Service pack
6 attached has
a network problem.
It has a connection, I can access to Linux box using
Secure Shell downloading/uploading files.

but I can't access to outside network directly.
I have assigned a static ip address ( which is
legitimate ip address).
of  course Linux box is legal ip address ( not
private) as well.

This NT box is using a right default gateway and
subnet that the Internet
Service Provider gave to me.

but I can't ping to the gateway anyway even though I
can access to the Linux box
that uses the same default gateway number.

It gotta be one the this dummy NT box.
but I can't figure that out.
Actually, I called ISP service representative, but
they couldn't resolve this.

How should I troubleshoot this matter.
First time, I ignored this  since I don't use this
machine much.
but I feel that it would be good to have a connection
though.

So, I kinda thought asking this to KCLUG which is the
most reliable, knowlegable
source that I know.

Any idea?

Any comments would be helpful.

Thanks!

--

Joe Cho,
email: ksjoecho at yahoo.com

I like the dreams of the future better than the
history of the past.
--Thomas Jefferson.