DNS server setup

Jason Clinton me at jasonclinton.com
Thu Jul 10 14:48:13 CDT 2003

Gerald Combs wrote:

>DSL spans layers 1 & 2 (the physical and data link layers).  NAT spans
>layers 3 & 4 (network and transport).  DSL can't force you to use NAT any
>more than Ethernet can.  If you are being NATted it's becuase your
>provider _chose_ to.

I agree. I'm not sure what criteria you get NAT'd on with SWB, though. I
have Deluxe SWB DSL in Midtown and my router's IP is the public one.
However, I recently did some computer work for some friends of mine in
NKC whom also have SWB DSL and they are NAT'd. I discovered this as I
was trying to set up a VNC server.

Anyone know why this is?

--
Just my three trits.
7A81 0A2F 1ABE DC38 DABC  7C22 B2EE 2304 4A89 46BF