IDE issues <consolidated responses from several sources>

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Wed Jul 9 13:12:18 CDT 2003

Quoting Matt G <linux at bizniche.com>:

> My old K6 233 does this too.   But only sometimes.  All I have in there is a
> 4gb drive and a 24x cdrom (on the ide's anyway.)   I have both of them on
> the same ide cable, and they have to be setup a certain way.  If I leave one
> off, or switch them around, no spin up.  And sometimes, I have to just keep
> turning the computer on and off to get the hdd to spin up.  (It's a brand
> new hdd.)  It's my little server, so I just leave it on anyway.

Ah HA!  This sounds like a power supply issue!  Could be Brian's problem too.
PS does not have enough juice to spin everything up at once.

Drives go through this power curve thing - at first, bigger drives use more
juice, then refinements lower the power required, then there's another
physical jump and they go back up again.  I doubt that even a new 10,000 RPM
160 drive uses as much power as an old full-height 5.25" 10 Megger though.

 - Live from Andover - Tarcanfel East