RealPlayer and Gentoo Q's

Duane Attaway dattaway at dattaway.org
Wed Jul 9 05:00:20 CDT 2003

On Tue, 8 Jul 2003, Adrian Gordinier wrote:

> I have two questions/problems.
>
> (1.)
> I have two systems running Mandrake 9.1 and on one I installed
> RealPlayer8 and it is working fine installed in /usr/lib. via binary I
> think. On the other system I have tried installing it as a binary file
> and as a RPM in /usr/lib, /usr/share, and /usr/local and none of them
> will work at all. What I get when it tries to start, even the very first
> time you install and it runs, it loads the framework of the player but
> most of it is greyed out and only like one button shows up. None of the
> player works and in fact the process of the program is frozen it seems
> since I have to kill it to close it. I am having no other problems with
> other programs what am I doing wrong here?

The problem is simple:

http://www.redcoat.net/pics/real-buffering.jpg

You listed your solution to that problem in your question number 2):

> (2.) A while back I "attempted" to install Gentoo from stage 1 tarball
> but when you get to the first emerge sync that creates the portage tree
> I can't go any further it seems that I can't connect or something. I can
> ping out to sites and stuff and I even put that system in my router's
> DMZ and still no luck emerging. Would there still be some protocols
> blocked in the DMZ that wouldn't allow it to work. Do you Gentoo guys do
> anything special when you update?

To get things started syncing and downloading, you might want to check
your /etc/make.globals configuration file.  Specifically, the "SYNC="
line:

SYNC="rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"

and have some fast servers in your GENTOO_MIRRORS line too:

GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://gentoo.oregonstate.edu
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/gentoo"

and one you emerge -u system, this might do the trick for your original
question:

"emerge realplayer"

That should take care of you!

--